Sine & Squares - Call for Works
Analogue Electronics and Modular Synthesis
25-26 October 2014 - Manchester, UK
NOVARS, Manchester University, England and Islington Mill, Salford
1, September 2014
8, September 2014
Deadline is OVER!
Acceptance/ Selection Notification: Friday 12th of September 2014
About: “Sines & Squares” solicits works for its UK first event and concert series on Analogue Electronics and Modular Synthesis, celebrating the recent resurgence of analogue and modular synthesizers. Details of the event and how to submit are shown below.
The event will include keynote speaker/s, fixed media concerts, live performances and demonstrations on systems; e.g. Buchla, Serge, Eurorack, Hordijk and EMS.
What are we looking for?: We are looking for two types of submissions: 1) Musical Works and 2) “Patchbay Sessions” (which are paper and discussion proposals).
The main focus of the event will be on analogue and hardware synthesis but could include appropriate work realised with, or referencing, computers and other digital tools (for example Supercollider, game-engines, Kyma and Nord modular). The proposal should have a clear emphasis on synthesis, be innovative and unique.
1- Musical Works: Composers / Improvisers may submit one work in any the following categories:
- Short live performance pieces involving modular synthesizers or similar systems
- Works for fixed media with up to eight channels emphasising the event themes
- Works for game-audio / game engine interactive systems in live performance emphasising the event themes
- Audiovisual works emphasising the event themes
Duration: we are looking for works / performances preferably under 12 minutes.
2- “Patchbay Sessions”: are informal paper and discussion presentations on a topic. We are looking for abstracts patching any areas of Analogue Electronics and Modular Synthesis with other topics such as aesthetics, politics, gender, history, innovation, to name but a few.
Submission Fee: There is no submission fee.
Important: The organisation regrets not to be able to attend the costs of the transport, accommodation, etc. for participants whose works were accepted. The organisation will not provide performers for the accepted submissions.
Method: Accepted submissions via wetransfer.com
All submissions must include:
- Contact details of the participant (e.g. name, email, affiliation if any).
- 300 word biography of the main applicant and also for other attendees (e.g. performer).
- Technical Requirements (*)
Music and Audiovisual Submissions:
- Music only in stereo wav, aif or flac format (e.g. 44.1 kHz/ 16 bit/24 bit). Multichannel submissions accepted but must also be accompanied with a stereo reduction. Audiovisual submissions only on .mov or vimeo link please.
- 300 words about the piece/proposal – please tell us how it relates to analogue and/or modular synthesis and/or how it directly addresses the event themes.
“Patchbay Session” paper and discussion submissions: Provide a 300-word abstract. Full papers also accepted but must be accompanied by an abstract.
(*) Technical Requirements:
- Sines-squares will provide the baby MANTIS System (a minimum of 16 channel Genelec loudspeakers) in the John Thaw Studio Theatre and a minimum of 4-channel system at the Islington Mill, Salford location. We also provide video projection, mixing console, microphones, cabling and equipped room for the paper and discussion sessions.
- Composers / performers should bring all the necessary equipment (e.g. modular synthesizers, computers, sound cards, etc) to realise their works.
- Composers / performers must provide detail of their own performance equipment.
- Composers / performers must clarify their additional technical needs (e.g. mixer channels, stage space, table, video, etc)